Thursday, September 13, 2012

Katie Got Bandz Speaks On Her Rise To Fame


Just one year ago 19-year old female rapper Katie Got Bandz recorded her first rap song. Since that time she’s released singles and videos that have garnered hundreds of thousands of YouTube views. As Katie’s buzz grew she signed on with Lawless Inc., a marketing, management, and record company founded by Larro Wilson and John Monopoly, Kanye West’s former manager.

Katie recently released her first mixtape Bandz & Hittaz, which features her previously released singles ‘Throw Yo Sets Up’, ‘Middle Fingers To Da Opps’, and ‘I Need A Hitta’ in addition to all new material.

I recently spoke with Katie Got Bandz and discussed her goals in the rap game, Chicago’s new rap renaissance, and her new mixtape, Bandz & Hittaz.

SS: How did you get into rap music?

Katie Got Bandz: My producer Block on Da Trakk is my cousin so I always grew up around producing. I’ve always been into rapping but no one ever took me seriously until Block recorded me last summer.

SS: So what was the process like when you recorded your first song?

Katie Got Bandz: I recorded ‘I Need A Hitta’ in Block’s bedroom. It was on a rainy day, I was real hot, sweaty, and irritated. I didn’t know what ad-libs were and I didn’t take it seriously.

SS: What inspired the song ‘I Need A Hitta’?

Katie Got Bandz: ‘Cause I love dreads. At the time that I did the song I was in love with a dread that I’m kind of in a relationship with now.


SS: What’s the name Katie Got Bandz mean?

Katie Got Bandz: The name Katie came from an American Girl doll. I’m all about money so my friend gave me the Got Bandz part. Bandz has been my name before rapping.

SS: I read somewhere that Waka Flocka was your favorite rapper. What makes him your favorite?

Katie Got Bandz: I didn’t say he was my favorite rapper. They were asking me if I could I do a song with anyone who would it be and I said Waka Flocka because I love his energy. He can make any type of song and everybody will be turned up off of it.

SS: So who would you say is your favorite?

Katie Got Bandz: I don’t really have a favorite. I like everybody’s music.

SS: Explain the title of the mixtape, Bandz & Hittaz.

Katie Got Bandz: It’s me and what I talk about with my music. I got the drill thing going with the music so, Bandz & Hittaz.

SS: For those that don’t know explain with drilling is.

Katie Got Bandz: It’s a lot of different ways you can use drilling. You can use drilling when you’re turning up or when you’re getting down on an opp.

SS: So drilling is not a type of music?

Katie Got Bandz: No. I mean, it is a type of music. People use drilling anthems… I don’t really wanna say it [laughs]. People drill out there in these streets.

SS: How’d you get hooked up with John Monopoly?

Katie Got Bandz: Through Lawless Inc. with Larro.

SS: So you hooked up with Larro first?

Katie Got Bandz: Larro and John are partners so when I hooked up with Larro I automatically hooked up with John.

SS: What kind of career advice have they given you?

Katie Got Bandz: Basically they tell me to keep going, keep making songs, and stay consistent and motivated.

SS: You worked with Chella H and Sasha Go Hard on ‘I’m Hotta’, what’s it like working with them?

Katie Got Bandz: It was OK. I don’t really like working with females. I don’t like dealing with females. Females have mood swings and attitudes. I’m a happy person. If you see me pissed off you know something serious is going on or somebody made me mad. You know how females are, everybody thinks stuff is supposed to go their way. I don’t like all that. I ain’t worked with them since we did that song.

SS: So there was a problem?

Katie Got Bandz: No. I just prefer to work with males than females.

SS: What’s your opinion of other Chicago acts like Rockie Fresh, Chief Keef, and King Louie getting major label deals?

Katie Got Bandz: I’m happy for everybody. I want to see everybody make it. I just hope they stick to what they’re doing. You can’t stop now just because you’re on.

SS: Lupe Fiasco and Rhymefest have been vocal about Chief Keef and artists like him being a negative influence on Chicago’s youth. What’s your opinion on that?

Katie Got Bandz: Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. They aren’t the only ones to criticize his music. You can’t help if that’s what he likes talking about. It’s what he’s been through and what he sees every day.

SS: So you don’t think those kinds of lyrics can influence kids?

Katie Got Bandz: I mean, it can. I think about that all the time with my stuff too. I can’t judge him if I’m talking about the same stuff.

SS: Do you ever think about writing different types of music?

Katie Got Bandz: Yeah, I do stuff to the drilling music because that’s what I started off doing. My next mixtape will be something that people won’t expect.

SS: What kind of stuff are you going to do on the next one?

Katie Got Bandz: I want to reach out to everybody. I want to do a rock song and a pop song but I’m still going to be Katie. I’m just going to take it to a different level. I’m still going to stick to Hip-Hop.

SS: When is the second mixtape coming?

Katie Got Bandz: If not in November or December it’ll be January. I’m going to try to drop something every three to four months.

SS: What are your goals in the music business?

Katie Got Bandz: To be successful. I’m trying to reach the top, you know? I wanna keep doing what I’m doing, keep my fans happy, and get my people out the hood. I just wanna make it, man.

SS: What’s next up for you?

Katie Got Bandz: Videos and I’m still recording. It’s not the end just because I dropped my mixtape. I’m still recording. I’m doing two videos this week and two videos next week. I haven’t dropped a video since April and I know the people have been waiting because they keep asking.



Source: Examiner

No comments:

Post a Comment